- Municipal Court
Madison Municipal Court is a court of limited jurisdiction, given its authority by OCGA 36-32-1. The court is created and given its power of punishment by the City of Madison Code of Ordinances. Municipal Court has the right and power to conduct non-jury trials, receive guilty pleas and impose sentence in the manner required by law.
The jurisdiction of the Madison Municipal court extends to:
- All misdemeanor traffic violations set forth in Title 40 of OCGA that are committed within the corporate limits of the City of Madison(by authority of OCGA 40-6-372 through 40-6-376 and adopted in the Code of Ordinances of the City of Madison);
- All misdemeanor city ordinance violations committed within the corporate limits of the City of Madison;
- Misdemeanor violations of the following laws of the State of Georgia-
- Underage possession of alcohol,
- Furnishing alcohol to underage persons,
- Sale of alcohol to underage persons,
- Public intoxication,
- Disorderly conduct,
- Violation of Georgia Controlled Substances Act-possession of less than one ounce of marijuana;
- Violations of probated sentences by subjects sentenced to probation by this court.
The Madison Municipal Court may only hear cases brought against adults, ages 17 and over. All charges made against juveniles, ages 16 and under, must be turned over to Juvenile Court.
The Madison Municipal Court does have jurisdiction over public nuisance violations under OCGA 41-2-5.
The Madison Municipal Court does not hear any civil disputes (other than described above under public nuisances). Those matters are dealt with in Magistrate or Probate Court of Morgan County.
Must Appear Offenses:
- Hit and Run
- Suspended, Canceled, or Revoked License
- Aggressive Driving
- Driving on Suspended Tag or Registration
- No Insurance
- Reckless Driving
- VGCSA (Misdemeanor Marijuana)
- Giving False Name, Address, or Date of Birth, to an Officer
- Criminal Trespass
- False Proof of Insurance
- Operating with Suspended/Canceled Registration
- Fleeing/Attempting to Elude Police
Must Appear Offenses: (Drivers under 21 YRS of age all offenses listed above and)
- Any 4 or More Point Offense
- Speeding 24 MPH or More Over the Limit
Failure To Appear Warrants Will Be Issued On:
- Must Appear Offenses
- All Driving Without Valid Georgia License Violations
- All Ordinance Violations
DS 912 WILL BE ISSUED ON ALL OTHER MINOR VIOLATIONS
Soon after court a DS912 will be completed and sent to the state. The files are generated electronically and will result in a suspension of your driver’s license that will remain in force until citation has been paid. Once paid or otherwise cleared, a release will be generated, a suspension withdrawal will be sent to DDS electronically, and a copy maintained in the file.