Click to Home
Go To Search
Find Us on
Bicentennial Series

 Madison Historic Ornament Collection
 Limited Edition Series


Bicentennial Series
 

About the Madison Historic Ornament Collection
The ornament collection - an annual series of pewter replicas of historic buildings - illustrates the wonderful and elegant assets of the:
Madison Historic District, in the National Register of Historic Places.

Examples are primarily drawn from the Madison Historic District and each history card reveals a building saved and reused. History cards share tales of private stewardship, stories of new commercial options, and even those wonderful cooperative public projects.

Ornaments are available $12 each.  Note that these ornaments are collector limited editions and marked when minted. Each shares its own unique history and guides you to the original structure so that you may see the historic asset which inspired the pewter miniature.

Each ornament - perfect for gift-giving at any time - comes with an attached information card and its own envelope. So you can send an extra special notecard or use the collectible as a pendant, pin, or key chain item, a gift tag or a window light catcher, and obviously a tree decoration. Simple and sweet tokens of the past and future...



Cooke Fountain
Cooke Fountain OrnamentThe Cooke Fountain once stood proudly in the center of the intersection of E. Jefferson and Hancock streets.  Sarah Benham Judd Cooke (1816-1903) - a pillar of the community and local philanthropist - left bequests for the Morgan County Courthouse clock, the first library, and her beloved Madison Presbyterian Church.  The Civic League erected the Cooke Memorial Fountain in her honor in October 1908.  Eventually dismantled when streets were paved, the fountain pieces were lost except for the “Grecian Maiden” which had adorned the top of the three-tiered edifice.

Research of the artifact (on display at Heritage Hall) and historic photographs (from the Georgia Archives) led to the discovery that the old manufacturing molds of the J. L. Mott Iron Works of New York were now in the possession of Robinson Iron of Alabama.  Newly cast from the original molds, the fountain returned to Downtown Madison one hundred years later to be erected in the bicentennial year as a result of the generosity of a new benefactor with the same surname - Stephen D. Cooke.

The Cooke Fountain is the centerpiece of Madison Town Park, located at the heart of the Madison Historic District.  Town Park is the legacy gift of the Madison Bicentennial Celebration, which honors the city’s significant heritage and commemorates its 200th Anniversary.  Town Park reflects the community’s history of philanthropy, respect for cultural inheritance and traditions, and commitment to enrichment in the lives of present and future generations.


(back to top)

 

Madison Historic Ornament Collection
    Limited Edition Series  

Cooke Fountain
[IN STOCK]

  • Individual Ornament
  • Cast Pewter 
  • 2" H x 1 3/8" W 
  • original casting 
  • $12.00 includes tax
  • 1 of 4 - $30.00
    9th Series
    Boxed Set

ORDER ONLINE SOON


Other Great 
Landmark Homes

  • Atkinson Brick House
  • Boxwood
  • Georgia Female College
  • Magnolia Hall
  • Meire-Bearden House
  • Stage Coach House 


Harris Pavilion
Harris Pavilion OrnamentThe Harris Pavilion is center stage for this new outdoor event facility in Downtown Madison.  This peripteral temple form - meaning columns on all four sides - reflects the community’s classical heritage.  Although the structure is new, the Ionic columns were salvaged from the same source (a demolition site on the Southern coast) as those featured on the James Madison Inn. 

The pavilion is a reality due to the foresight and generosity of the Sarah Baldwin Harris & J. D. Harris Foundation, who made this first and most significant donation to this public-private effort.  The pavilion designed by G.F. “Tripp” Alsbrooks, III, of Alsbrooks Architects, Inc., sits amidst the Great Lawn, where either end is landscaped to create gathering greenspots honoring the ancestors - the Family of Judge Bearden (western end) and the Mr. and Mrs. Floyd C. Newton, Sr., Family (eastern end). 

The Harris Pavilion anchors the great lawn of Madison Town Park, located at the heart of the Madison Historic District.  Town Park is the legacy gift of the Madison Bicentennial Celebration, which honors the city’s significant heritage and commemorates its 200th Anniversary.  Town Park reflects the community’s history of philanthropy, respect for cultural inheritance and traditions, and commitment to enrichment in the lives of present and future generations.


(back to top)
 

Madison Historic Ornament Collection
    Limited Edition Series  

Harris Pavilion
[IN STOCK]

  • Individual Ornament
  • Cast Pewter 
  • 2" H x 1 3/8" W 
  • original casting 
  • $12.00 includes tax
  • 1 of 4 - $30.00
    9th Series
    Boxed Set 

ORDER ONLINE SOON

 


Other Great 
Downtown  Architecture

  • Hill House 
  • Hunter House
  • Iris Hill
  • M.F. Atkinson House
  • Poullain Heights
  • Thurleston 


Park Cottage

Park Cottage Ornament

Town Park Cottage is one of the oldest existing structures in Downtown Madison.  The modest structure was built directly upon solid, Georgia clay and features handmade brick and clay-based mortar rarely found in buildings after the 1830s.  Referenced in 1870-80s deeds as the “brick storehouse” facing Railroad Street (Jefferson Street’s former name), the structure is also known as the old Southern Express or Ponder Office building, having been acquired in 1946 by Paul H. Ponder for his cotton marketing business. 

Rehabilitation of the cottage is a direct result of the generosity of the Jane & Frank Carter Family.  Joseph Smith, AIA, of Hall-Smith Office volunteered architectural services to assure that the original character was preserved while improving the facility to become  home to the Madison Artist Guild.  In years to come, the hope is the Guild will host outdoor classes in the adjacent Children’s Garden, supported by the philanthropy of Clarence and Kathy Whiteside. 

The Town Park Cottage highlights the northwest corner of Madison Town Park, located at the heart of the Madison Historic District.  Town Park is the legacy gift of the Madison Bicentennial Celebration, which honors the city’s significant heritage and commemorates its 200th Anniversary.  Town Park reflects the community’s history of philanthropy, respect for cultural inheritance and traditions, and commitment to enrichment in the lives of present and future generations.


(back to top)

 

Madison Historic Ornament Collection
    Limited Edition Series  

Park Cottage
[IN STOCK]

  • Individual Ornament
  • Cast Pewter 
  • 2" H x 1 3/8" W 
  • original casting 
  • $12.00 includes tax
  • 1 of 4 - $30.00
    9th Series
    Boxed Set 

ORDER ONLINE SOON

 



Other Great 
Downtown  Landmarks

  • Bank of Madison
  • Heritage Hall
  • Madison City Hall
  • Morgan County Courthouse
  • Rogers House
  • Rose Cottage



    Pennington Gazebo

    Pennington Gazebo OrnamentThe Pennington Gazebo is a close interpretation of the 19th century, Victorian bandstand which once graced Downtown Madison.  The turret-roofed, two-story structure formerly occupied a prominent location at the corner of Main and E. Jefferson streets on the Town Square, when the second Morgan County Courthouse was centered on the lot.  Early photographs reveal an elaborate balustrade and spindle frieze as well as the exterior stair which skirted the side of the ground level. 

    Replication of the gazebo - made possible through the benevolence of the Family of Brooks Pennington, Jr. - was based on historic documentation.  Joseph Smith, AIA, of Hall-Smith Office volunteered architectural services to assure that the original character was captured, although the ground level is enclosed by decorative brickwork to distinguish it from the original design.  The gazebo overlooks the permanent outdoor seating of the Upper Patio, supported by the generous support of the Byrans Family Foundation. 

    The Pennington Gazebo punctuates the northwest corner of Madison Town Park, located at the heart of the Madison Historic District.  Town Park is the legacy gift of the Madison Bicentennial Celebration, which honors the city’s significant heritage and commemorates its 200th Anniversary.  Town Park reflects the community’s history of philanthropy, respect for cultural inheritance and traditions, and commitment to enrichment in the lives of present and future generations.


    (back to top)

     

    Madison Historic Ornament Collection
        Limited Edition Series  

    Pennington Gazebo
    [IN STOCK]

    • Individual Ornament
    • Cast Pewter 
    • 2" H x 1 3/8" W 
    • original casting 
    • $12.00 includes tax
    • 1 of 4 - $30.00
      9th Series
      Boxed Set 

     ORDER ONLINE SOON

     
    Other Great 
    Civic  Landmarks

    • Chamber of Commerce
      (City Hall & Firehouse)
    • Madison Post Office
    • Madison Morgan Cultural Center (Madison Graded School) 
    • Morgan County Bank
    • Moore House
      (African-American Museum)
    • Richter Cottage